I was approached a few weeks ago by a good friend, who asked me if i didn’t mind baking a cake for the Cancer Council’s Biggest Morning Tea to raffle off for some much needed funds. As usual i was happy to oblige, and donated this beauty to the good cause.
“When life gives you lemons… bake my Lemon and Coconut Delight Cake!”
1) I started off by using a vanilla cake recipe, substituting vanilla essence for coconut and lemon essence. I used the equivalent of 1tsp each. To the mixture, I added 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.
3) As the cake was cooling I quickly made a lemon and sugar syrup to drizzle over the cake to give it a moist texture, and to enhance the lemon flavour. Once cooled, I drizzled it over the cake and let it soak through.
4) I prepared a cream cheese buttercream recipe with 1kg icing sugar, 125g butter, and 250g cream cheese and milk as needed to make the desired texture icing. Once prepared, I set aside a bowl with 3 tblsp of icing to colour with yellow food colouring.
5) I covered the cake with the icing and smoothed the sides the best I could, with a cake smoother. I then dabbed some yellow icing around the cake, and smoothed the cake with the smoother again to get the following look:
7) Then… For the decorations, I used toasted coconut, white chocolate shards (with coconut and lemon zest), macarons and candied lemons.
Don’t forget to like and share this idea with anyone that you think would enjoy it!
xx NaZzYbAkEr xx