This recipe was made using the French Macaron method.
Blueberry Macarons Recipe:
1 3/4 cups of icing sugar sifted
1 cup almond meal sifted
3/4 cups caster sugar
1 tsp salt
3 large egg whites at room temperature
Pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 tsp blueberry flavouring oil
Gel food colouring (navy, super black and violet)
Buttercream Filling Ingredients:
1 cup butter
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1/2 tsp blueberry essence oil
Gel food colouring (violet)
1. Sift the almond meal and icing sugar together into a bowl. Add the salt.
2. Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy, and then gradually add in the caster sugar and whip until you see stiff peaks. (You should be able to hold the bowl over your head upside down without the mixture falling out).
3. Fold the almond meal and icing sugar mixture into the meringue mixture until combined.
4. Add a few drops of colour and the blueberry flavouring to your macaron mixture and gently fold through. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Pipe the mixture into rounds on a baking sheet, and allow them to rest for approximately 20 to 30 mins or until the top of the cookies are dried out.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees, for approximately 15 – 20 mins, rotating the tray halfway through. The cookies are done when they easily peel off the baking sheet.
7. To make the buttercream, while the butter until light and creamy, and then add the icing sugar. Beat the ingredients together, until combined. Add the colour, and flavouring.
8. Once cooled, pipe the buttercream onto one half of the cookie, and using another half, sandwich the two together.