2 cups caster sugar
1 3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tblsp instant coffee powder dissolved in one cup of boiling water
1 cup of cooked butternut pumpkin
Dark chocolate ganache: (100 g dark chocolate, mixed into 50 g warm thickened cream)
Buttercream: (1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar, 125 g butter, 1 tblsp pumpkin puree, yellow or orange food colouring)
- Sift together, the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coffee, vanilla essence, oil, and eggs.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and whisk in the wet ingredients until they are well combined.
- Puree the cooked pumpkin. Reserve 1 tblsp of the puree for the buttercream. Mix the remainder of the puree into the cake batter, until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into two greased and lined 6 inch baking pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees Celsius until the cakes are cooked through.
- Make the dark chocolate ganache, by heating the cream in a microwave, and then mixing in the chocolate melts, until the mixture is smooth.
- Make the buttercream by beating the softened butter until pale and fluffy. Add in the sifted icing sugar. Once combined, add in the reserved pumpkin puree. Add a drop of yellow/ orange colouring to the buttercream, and set it aside.
- Once the cakes have cooled, assemble the cake layers.
- On the bottom layer, spread a thin layer of ganache, and allow it to set in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Then add a layer of the buttercream, and add the next layer of cake on top.
- Add another thin layer of ganache on the top layer, and set in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Using the remaining buttercream, decorate the top of your cake as you wish.
- Use chocolate jimmies, to finish the cake off.