This is a recipe that I fall back on time and time again. It’s such an easy recipe, and they don’t take long to make at all.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tin condensed milk
Vegetable oil to deep fry
2 cups sugar + 2 cups water boiled to form sugar syrup.
1) Sift the dry ingredients together (flours, baking powder and spices)
2) Pour in the tin of condensed milk and mix until the dry ingredients are combined. The mixture should be sticky, and it does get messy.
3) Once combined, roll bits of the dough into oblong finger like shapes, and leave to rest while the oil is heating.
4) Once the oil is hot, fry the dough fingers until they are cooked through and brown.
5) When fried, place the fingers into the warm sugar syrup and allow them to soak up the syrup.
6) Roll the Gulab Jamuns into desiccated coconut (optional)
7) Serve 😊