1 cup of softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy, using an electric mixer.
- Add in the egg in intervals, whilst continuing to beat the mixture on medium speed.
- Next add in the vanilla essence until combined.
- Sift the baking powder and plain flour into the mixture and mix together to form a dough.
- Allow the dough to rest in the fridge for 30 mins or until chilled and firm.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper, and then cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius until golden brown.
- Decorate the cookies with melted chocolate, or piped royal icing designs, or with fondant.